Head & Neck
Head and neck cancer is strongly associated with certain environmental and lifestyle risk factors, including tobacco smoking, alcohol consumption, UV light and occupational exposures, and certain strains of viruses, such as the sexually transmitted human papillomavirus. These cancers are frequently aggressive in their biologic behavior; patients with these types of cancer often develop a second primary tumor.
Head and neck cancer is highly curable if detected early, usually with some form of surgery although chemotherapy and radiation therapy may also play an important role.
Head and Neck Cancer Treatment in India
Head and Neck Cancer Treatment includes standard routine cancer treatments. These include:
- Surgery: Doing a surgery or not depends on the location and the size of the tumor. In mouth and pharynx cancers, surgery is done first. Functions of the tumor size, more or less tissues are removed. The neck lymph nodes are entirely removed. In larynx cancers, surgery is done only if the radiotherapy has been inefficient. In this case, the operation is a laryngectomy, partial or total functions of the tumor size. In mouth cancers, repair surgery can decrease the after effects of the tissues removal, thanks to muscles and bones transplants.
- Radiotherapy: It is often a complement to the surgery, but sometimes it can be the only treatment, particularly in larynx cancers when the tumor size has correctly decreased after the chemotherapy. In mouth cancers, it's sometimes possible to use curietherapy.
- Chemotherapy: It is done to reduce the most possible the size of the tumor, in order to limit the number of surgeries. Sometimes only the radiotherapy will be necessary after the chemo.
Apart from surgery and chemotherapy, the new age technology used to treat head and neck cancer include Radiology and Radiation Oncology, which are advanced imaging technology that can be used to detect cancer.
Technologies for detection of cancer:
- Computerized Tomography (CT)
- Nuclear Medicine
- PET Fusion
- Robotic Surgical System
- Trilogy Image Guided Radiation Therapy System (IGRT)
- Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy System (IMRT)
The oncology clinic is comprised of physicians dedicated to treating upper aerodigestive tract cancer and metastases to the system with the latest technology. Because our physicians are specialists in head and neck oncology, hematology, medical oncology, surgical oncology, radiation oncology and head and neck cancer treatment, you can rest assured you’re receiving the best care available. We work with specialists in other areas of care when necessary to give you a comprehensive approach to treatment of head and neck cancer. OMEGA offers the latest and most advanced cancer treatments in India.
Apart from doctors, we have radiologists who specialize in Imaging, Neuroradiology, PET CT, Abdominal Imaging, Interventional Radiology and Musculoskeletal Imaging We are uniquely positioned to make the tremendous power of these technologies work towards giving you the best cancer treatment.