Liver Cancer Treatment in India
Brain cancer treatment options include a combination of chemo-, biological, radiation, or gene therapy approaches. For patients with metastases to the central nervous system from systemic cancer, procedures may involve:
- Surgery: Procedure to remove a portion of the liver. Your doctor may recommend partial hepatectomy to remove the liver cancer and a small portion of healthy tissue that surrounds it if your tumor is small and your liver function is good.
- Transplant Surgery: During liver transplant surgery, your diseased liver is removed and replaced with a healthy liver from a donor. Liver transplant surgery may be an option for people with early-stage liver cancer who also have cirrhosis.
- Freezing Cancer Cells: Cryoablation uses extreme cold to destroy cancer cells. During the procedure, your doctor places the instrument (cryoprobe) containing liquid nitrogen directly onto liver tumor.
- Heating Cancer Cells: In a procedure called radiofrequency ablation, electric current is used to heat and destroy cancer cells. It is also called hyperthermia cancer treatment.
- Injecting Alcohol: During alcohol injection, pure alcohol is injected directly into tumors, either through the skin or during an operation. Alcohol dries out the cells of the tumor and eventually the cells die.
- Chemoembolization: A type of chemotherapy treatment that supplies strong anti-cancer drugs directly to the liver. It is palliative and not curative treatment.
- Radiation Therapy: This treatment uses high-powered energy beams to destroy cancer cells and shrink tumors.
- Targeted Drug Therapy: Drugs designed to interfere with a tumor's ability to generate new blood vessels.
Palliative as well as curative technologies used in liver cancer treatments are blood tests, physical examination and a variety of imaging techniques including X-rays (e.g., chest X-rays and mammograms); computed tomography (CT); magnetic resonance (MR) and ultrasound. Also used in treatment of liver cancer is Embolization, a well-established interventional oncology technique that is used to treat trauma victims with massive bleeding, to control hemorrhage after childbirth, to decrease blood loss prior to surgery and to treat tumors. In treating cancer patients, interventional radiologists use embolization to cut off the blood supply to the tumor, deliver radiation to a tumor (radioembolization), or combine this technique with chemotherapy to deliver the cancer drug directly to the tumor (chemoembolization).
Radioembolization is very similar to chemoembolization but with the use of radioactive microspheres. This therapy is used to treat both primary and metastatic liver tumors.
This treatment incorporates the radioactive isotope Yttrium-90 into the embolic spheres.
Similar to Radioembolization is Cryoablation, where the energy is delivered directly into the tumor by a probe that is inserted through the skin. But rather than killing the tumor with heat, cryoablation uses an extremely cold gas to freeze it.
The oncology clinic is comprised of physicians dedicated to treating liver cancer and metastases to the system with the latest technology. Because our physicians are specialists in oncology, hematology, Medical Oncology, surgical oncology, radiation oncology and liver cancer treatment, you can rest assured you’re receiving the best care available. We work with specialists in other areas of care when necessary to give you a comprehensive approach to treatment. OMEGA offers the latest and most advanced liver cancer treatments in India.